Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Paris Blog 4:Musee d'Art Moderne

This is Paris' own collection of Art from the Fauves until recent acquisitions. A spectacular building looking onto the Seine, it is a museum I had not visited, and what a delight it was.  I am not convinced about all of it (The Daniel Buren, for example) and Barbara would certainly be unhappy with me about my active dislike of some of it) but that was one of the great things about the trip and the group, who did have very different likes and dislikes.
I apologize in advance, I was rushed because I had to get back to the Embassy for my replaced passport, so I don's have proper labels for everything. 

The open-air market opposite the museum.


Matisse "The Dance" a huge wall installation.

Matisse, "The Dance"  1931 version

Daniel Buren
"Murs de pientures" 1995  (yawn)


Film by Tacita Dean 1965



Ben
"In the Spirit of Flux" 2003

"le Dejeuner sur L'herbe" 1964



Juan Gris
"Le Pigeon aux petits pois" 1911

Ferdinand Leger
"Les Disques" 1918

Pablo Picasso

Marcel Gromaire
"La Guerre"  1925

Chirico

Chirico


Amadeo Modigliani
"Femme aux yeux bleus" 1918


Roualt

Georges Braque
"Nature a la pipe"  1914

Robert Delaunay
"Rhythm No. 1"  1939




Louise Bourgeois
"Araignee"
(The Spider)

Front of Building.  The Art Moderne is to the right of the pillars, and
to the left is the Palais Tokyo, one of the cutting-edge venues for
art and art performance in Europe

Nadar
"Portrait of Charles Baudelaire"
How cool to see a portrait of the author of "Flowers of Evil" which had such a huge
effect of all the arts of his time (and for which he was tried for obscenity)..









Eadweard Muybridge
"Animal Locomotion"  1887
One representative of dozens of examples of Muybridge's pioneer photography
found in a photo exhibition.

Laxzlo Moholy-Nagy
"Laszlo and Lucia"  1922



And just across the Seine, the Eiffel Tower. 
I brought with me a 16-300 Tamron lens for my Canon 7D Mk2, and it turned out to be
 the perfect travel lens.  It doesn't have quite the resolution of the Canon E lenses, but it is
surprising how effective it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment