Friday, May 13, 2016

Paris Blog 2 the Louvre

On two previous trips to Paris, I missed the Louvre (!), only perhaps the greatest collections of masters in the world, due to a strike on the first trip, and renovations on the second.  So the chance to see this unbelievably rich museum on this trip was possibly the most exciting reason for going.  And to see that pyramid, the intense architecture, and finally, at least a tiny part of the collection, was one of the great moments of the trip.  Adeline advised seeing the Italian collection, and so that is what I focused on, plus the Islamic exhibition, which was all I could wish.  But what a treat to see all of those great Davids I love so much. The group did go a second time, and I grieved for not going, but I had to replace a lost passport, which took half a day at the U.S. embassy.
Arrival.  Adeline got in through a entrance with no line.  Amazing.

Winged Victory

Typical ceiling

Fra Angelica



the Italian wing

There were two da Vinci next to each other, getting no attention at all, every one was in
trying to get a selfie with the Mona Lisa.

da Vinci


detail of above

This somehow reminds me of a song Matthew Wauchope sang at the reception for Sally and
Neil's wedding.  He announced it as the most romantic song he knew, and then proceeded to sing,
"Take off all your clothes and get in bed!" or something to that effect. 

And here she is.  I found a moment with my zoom lens with no one in front.



David: Psyche and Cupid

David: Crowning of Josephine (detail)

David: Rape of the Sabine Women

David: Oath of the Horatii

detail

I have always loved Islamic art.  Because they were not allowed to depict mortals, they became great floral
artists and calligraphers.  I can hope to visit Iran someday and see the mosques of Isfahan, some of the most
beautiful buildings ever constructed. 


A door panel from a mosque



From Mughal India, a jade sword handle.  This is very similar to the arts that
decorate the Taj Mahal.




The glass art is very, very rare.

This is typical of the calligraphy. There is a spectacular rug at the Clark Institute in Williamstown, Ma.
which has a border around the entire massive size with this type of calligraphy.  I tried very hard to find a rug with
calligraphy, and the closest I came was a signed rug.  I have a few brass pieces with calligraphy.
 

Wall tiles, including Iznik



Sally, Barbara, Debbie, Mary, Bruce

Mary, Adeline, Neil


1 comment: