Thursday, April 17, 2014

Brevard, N.C. Post 3

 

My second night in Brevard, we had one of those Transylvania County rainstorms in which the intensity of rain, and length, have to be experienced.  I had to go back up to the forest to see what the rains had done to the falls, and I witnessed as much water coming over several falls as I have ever seen. 
I hope Don and Mary will forgive me for showing this, but they are joined every morning by Lily (resting against Mary), and Bella, their very sweet and protective dogs.  Lilly fears nothing, and will challenge any casual Rottweiler seen.

This is the falls over the damn on the day after the storm.

And here is Looking Glass Falls, probably the most famous and most photographed falls in NC.  I've never seen this much water before.

The water coming down Sliding Rock, the historic waterhole familiar to every child in Transylvania County. Again, this is double the water average. You, of course, slide down the rock, the  water can be the most frigid water you can swim in, and it has become such an attraction, that the park service has constructed a huge parking lot, and now charges a fee.  The wait in line can resemble a theme park ride. 

At the top of Looking Glass Falls, early flowers.

Another view of Looking Glass Falls.

If you take the fish hatchery road just before Looking Glass Falls, and take the dirt road turnoff immediately after the hatchery, you will come across Slick Rock Falls, a very short hike, and very worth while.

The Davidson River, Pisgah Forest;  I'll have to take my grandchildren tubing!

No comments:

Post a Comment