Saturday, June 4, 2011

Strier Conservancy

About one mile north on Rt. 105 above where I live is this magical place called the Strier Conservancy. It is a small parking lot for perhaps 3 cars, and it is rare to meet any one ever.  I feel that it is my own Walden Pond, and it is indeed magical to see it turn so green, and to have such magnificent ferns surround the path, to hear Oven Birds, Baltimore Oriols and Pine Warblers.   There must be some owls, but I havn't found any pellets yet.  What I always see is this strange, violently luminescent but, about 5 mm long, who seems to keep me company on the path for long distances.  I finally took a picture of hime, he held still long enough as he had found a mate to mate with, and I will post the picture.  I would love him (and her) identified.  Lots of green darning needles, almost as glowing a green.  I can alway find a red-bellied woodpecker somewhere, and of course the deep woods off is a necessity because of the mosquitoes.  Have you ever seen the "far side" cartoon showing this man in the woods, completely obscurred by a black ball of insects completely surrounding him.  In his hand he is holding a can of "On".

No comments:

Post a Comment