Friday, June 3, 2011

A Mink!

Susan and I went to Stony Pond Audobon Sanctuary, a place of mostly swamps and lakes with boardwalks, and as I was walking along one of the boardwalks, this black ferret-like creature came running along the boardwalk toward, me, saw me, stopped, edged closer as if trying to get past (he/she was about 6 feet away at this point, ) and then suddenly launced itself off the boardwalk into the water and dissappeared into the weeds. It was an amazing experience.  I thought it was a Fisher Cat, which have been seen, but when I got back to the headquarters, the naturalist on duty showed me a mounted fisher cat, and a Mink skin, and the size was, as they say, diagnostic (how often do I get to use that word!).  Of course my camera was turned off, and lens-capped.  But what a thrill.  It is the first Mink I have ever seen in the wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment