Sunday, June 12, 2011

Boston Bruins

The Bruins are on the brink of elimination by the Canucks, I don't watch the game because of my first experience with it, sometime in the late 60's, when Susan and I were given tickets to a game at the Garden, Bruins versus the Blackhawks.  It became a rather famous game, because Bobby Orr scored his first hat trick ("Why are they throwing all those hats on the ice?"), the final score was something like 11 to 8, one of the highest, maybe the highest scoring pro hockey game.  What I remember is Susan and I standing up and belting out "Oh, say, can you see?" at the top of our lungs, only to discover we were the only ones singing in the Garden.  At the end of the second period, I said, come on. lets beat the crowd out, and we rushed out of the Garden and we were the only ones, everybody else opted to stay for the third period.  I asked the garage attendant how many periods there were in hockey, and he laughed and laughed.  We got back in, only to witness the most brutal, bare-knuckled brawl between Keith Magnusan, and Teddy Green, blood all over the ice, very sickening, and we left, and I havn't watched a game since.  That's not completely correct, we did watch the USA-Soviet Olympic game where the Russians were upset.
I despise the visciousness of someone blindsiding a player, and as in the second game, putting someone in the hospital.  A cowardly blow.  Wern't we taught that?
On another note, Susan and I went to Join Ken and Erin and our two grandchildren, Jackson and Oliver, firts to watch Jackson play a baseball game, and then Scott and Cheryl and the third grandchild, Alex, joined us to celebrate father's day.  the enclosed picture is the three dads together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment