Friday, June 14, 2013

Susan's Father's Day gift to me was two days in Scarborough, visiting the Scarborough Marsh, home to both the Salt Marsh Sharp-tailed Sparrow, and the Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow, which were seperated into the two species from what was one, the Sharp-tailed Sparrow.  I didn't see the Salt Marsh Sharp-tailed, but thanks to Sue MacCallum, of Mass Audubon, Marshfield, who confirmed my identification, I have a Nelson's on my life list!  I was up at 5:00 AM on Thursday, and hoped to see one (I had heard the "tsssssssssssk" call, like water hitting a hot plate, but only got a quick glimpse of one diving into the reeds the day before).
On our return, we stopped in at Parker River NWR, and sure enough, here was the Black-necked Stilt at the same tidal pool. 
 Here are the resulting photos.
5:00 AM, and the bugs havn't arrived.



A treat to see, so early, and racing across

Willets everywhere

Glossy Ibis, perhaps two dozen there

And here his is, life list, Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow, Ammodramus nelsoni

and another Willet

Parker River, Black-necked Stilt  (I understand that it is only
recent that these birds have been seen this far north.)



back to 5:00 AM, Scarborough Marsh

No comments:

Post a Comment