Tuesday, June 18, 2013

I drove over to Marshfield to the Daniel Webster Farm for a day's birding. It turned into a walk just to enjoy the wonderful environment the farm provides you.  It is so much more than just birds, altho it is one of the great places for birding. Here are some photos from the walk.
First encounter,  across the path into the first shelter and the bird garden

Down the first path, and Goldfinch welcoming me.

The flowers have arrived in force, and the mosquitoes.

Into the (western) blind, and the usual meeting of turtles. 

Overhead in the blind is a Barn Swallow nest, peeping young, and the parents watching me as I sit right below the chicks

Finally she can't stand it and flies past my nose up into the nest.  

I am carrying with me my 70-300 canon zoom which has a decent macro capability.  I have a 100mm Canon macro lens which I must start carrying with me.
 

These are everywhere along the trail.

Everyone is busy feeding their young including this Song Sparrow

and this Yellowthroat.  You are guaranteed to see one at Daniel Webster, as well as the Yellow Warbler.

ahh, charateristic creepy crawling copulation

not exactly hidden here

This Red Wing flew out and about around me, coming very close. I must have been very near his nest.  Or, he really wanted to be photographed.

Coming out of the swamp on the boardwalk, I startled this Great Blue, one of the largest I've ever seen. 


This flower also is in full bloom, and spectacular

a female Bobolink.  It is almost impossible to describe the Bobolink's call, it sounds to me like a ringing of a set of chimes that are slightly out of tune,  having a kind of burble to the tone.  It is magical.

This Bobolink leapt out of the grass about 10 yards away.

Back in the blind, the Barn Swallow nest, and two waiting chicks

No comments:

Post a Comment