Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Final China Blog: the Great Wall

Because of the cloudy, often dark days we had all week, Cheney hoped for some sunlight when we drove out of the city to the Mutianyu section of the Great wall, on my last full day in Beijing.   The sun came out, and we visited the wall, taking a bus up for quite a few miles, and then a cable car.  The wall here is from the 1300's, and this section is considered one of the most spectacular, with vistas to distant mountain ranges.
I have to tell you that Heather did not want me to do this, she was sure I would not be able to climb all the required steps, but I was determined.  And it was every bit as wonderful as I hoped.

The gate, the wall in the far distance.

The long hot walk past innumerable souvenir stands to the bus terminal.

On the bus, passing that rarity for this trip, a private house.

Another long line for the cable car



And the first views from the cable car.






On top.


Walking down in order to walk pack up to the top and be on the wall.




Finally on top




Add caption





I wonder how the Forbidden City would have looked in all this sunshine. 
I guess I will have to go back and find out. 



And this is for you, Heather!

The line back to the cable car.

For your information, the translation for the Mandarin word for cat is
Mao.

The one and only rickshaw I saw the entire trip.  This one offered rides from the 
bottom of the bus drop-off up to the cable cars, about half a mile, all at a very steep angle. 
The guy must have had legs of steel.

More souvenir shops

Cheney faking it on a Guzheng

Final dinner before the flight out tomorrow, the hot pot, of course. 
That is Heather's parents in the rear. 
A trip of a lifetime that could not have happened without their help. 
What a wonderful gift. 

1 comment: