Tuesday, October 1, 2019

China Blog 5: The Summer Palace

One of the most beautiful gardens in Asia, the Summer Palace was built by the Emperor as an escape out of the roasting heat of Beijing's summer.  A man-made lake was formed, palaces built, and a long corridor was built on the lake front, considered to be the longest art gallery in the world.
Heather and I actually visited this before Cheney and I's visit to the Forbidden City, and so it was my first actual experience with the incredible architecture of classical China.  It was such a thrill to discover those curving roof lines, and the lego-like blocks of wood supporting them.  And the Color!
It was the first place I would have chosen to revisit if I had had the time.

Very common mode of transportation.  While there were a lot of cars (a surprising number of Teslas!), there were many
more motorcycles, mopeds, electrical bicycles, and motor scooters.  Not as many plain bicycles, as I expected, but  there were plenty. 

No Chinese civilian owns a gun of any kind.  But boys will be boys. 

There was a surprising amount of English in Beijing (far less likely further out).

Magnificent stones at entrance.

The East Palace Gate.  My first encounter with this kind of architecture.  I told Heather, 
"This is why I wanted to come!"


My first imperial lion, so prevalent in front of the important halls. 



Not a nail to be found.

Peeking inside one of the halls.

I left Heather for a moment to wander into this courtyard, and felt a great since of the time that had passed. 
And this courtyard, unlike some of the others, had been kept perfectly restored.  Spectacular. 


A dining nook (below, on the right).

A pano with my phone can give you some idea of the space. 

This building housed the Great Stage, just inside the green pillars. 

And here it is, ready for a Peking Opera performance.
The musicians play in the balcony above the performers.

Hall of Benevolence and Longevity



This is the Long Corridor, with over 14,000 paintings adorning the ceiling.
It is considered the longest painted gallery in the world, at almost 2,400 feet long. 

Just a small part of the Corridor.

And you need some beautiful pavilions along the way. 

Looking up. 


Looking up to the Tower of the Fragrance of the Buddha



This building is called the Realm of the Multitudinous Fragrance.

In a gift shope.  !6,800 Yuan is about $2285. 

This was originally the "Hall for listening to Orioles"
It is now a very expensive, and not very good(Heather) restaurant 
I probably would have loved it. 


And it was here in the Summer Palace that I found myself for the first time being sneakily photographed.  I guess the white guy with the beard was really a unique sight, especially to visiting Chinese from the provinces.  It was all in fun, 
and I was very flattered, although what they thought may have been something different.


The Hall of Dispelling Clouds

Glowing Clouds and Holy Land Archway


Heather and I were to take a trip across the lake in a boat like this, to the island where the 
Hall of Embracing the Universe sat, and then on to the Seventeen Arch Bridge


This boat was built as a gift to the empress.  lt is make of marble, and is called 
The Clear and Peaceful Boat.  No, it does not float.


detail of above

Heather on the way out on the lake

The Seventeen-arch Bridge

This is called the Pavilion with Fish and Algae

The same type of boat Heather and I are on,

Looking back.

Hall of Embracing the Universe

The Jade Belt Bridge

The Seventeen-arch Bridge




Wenchang Tower, or Tower of the God Wenchang

The best possible introduction to the beauty and craftsmanship to this era. 

No comments:

Post a Comment