Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Reunion Blog 2: Birding, Atlanta Botanical Garden

I decided early on that I would let Neal, Don, Barbara, all do family and relative photos, because I would have such a hard time identifying everyone.  So I look forward very much to Neal's great expertise in that.
But here is a few shots of the morning bird walk around a pond near Emory University, and then the spectacular Atlanta Botanical Gardens which featured floral statuary creations from Alice in Wonderland, and incredible orchids.
I hope you will forgive the extensive flower photography, but in fact, from the days of Donald Macleod and Brevard High School, I have been entranced by flowers.

Susan, Sally, Barbara, Don, Neal

Female Wood Duck


Great Blue Heron, at quite a distance

Neal and Sally Patton, host for Barbara, Susan and I

I hoped to get a closer shot of this Kingfisher, but he wouldn't deign to approach. 
I swear, I think the birds know when I have the long lens with me. 

And on to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens

Barbara's favorite, a Buckeye.

and suddenly with opened wings














An incredible collection of pitcher plants











We came to the conclusion, I hope correctly, that this is a young Black-billed Cuckoo, which is 
uncommon in Georgia, but does migrate through. 


Out-of-order picture from the morning. 
Neal looking for a Red-headed woodpecker for me.  Unsuccessfully. 



Sally and friend

The Cheshire cat

My bride of 52 years.  What a saint.





The little Mermaid, I presume

One final look, with  some artificial Chihuly flowers, as if the garden needed any. 
and again, out of place, but worth it..
L to R. Don, Barbara, Neal, Susan, Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment