Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Blog 2 Travel, first day at National Museum

I am happy to announce that I was able, through a company in NJ. to retrieve my photos from my burned iPhone, and am now ready to do my china blogs.  Thank you, "Ontrack".  Here is my travel (14 hours of flying) from Logan to Beijing, and my first day with Cheney, touring the great National Museum, which is all about China's history.  
So we begin. 
This all came about, because Heather was a student at Bridgewater University, and Belle had entered our grandchild, Alex's school.  Susan and I would be at the bus stop to pick up Alex, and Belle was there as well. We became friends with Heather and Cheney, and arranged a few trips (MFA, Boston Ferry, Peabody-Essex Museum, etc.) because Heather couldn't drive in MA. on her China driving license.  
And when they invited me to come  to China, and I found I could fly, non-stop, from  Logan to Beijing, round-trip, for $649. (!!!), well, I fulfilled a dream I never expected to become a reality. 

Getting close to Beijing, and seeing the Great Wall below!

The meals were delicious on board.  And the wine was free!

Directly over the Great Wall

Approaching Beijing, miles and miles of residential buildings below. 
Population of Beijing: 20 Million.

And, yes, they do have golf (very, very expensive)

Cheney photographed my arrival

Dinner with Belle

Up and out for breakfast, Heather, Cheney and Belle are on the 10th floor of Bldg. No. 18

Many of the residence buildings in the area were built for University teachers. 
This stone represent the "Soul of teachers"

Eating out, first breakfast.  How does one hope to lose weight?

One of the many, many subway lines, all clean, all very fast. 

Cheney outside the monumental National Museum


Huge painting of the Communist victory.
In the background is one of the original gates for Beijing, when it was a walled city. 
Only two remain.

Mao entertaining the troops on the "Long March"

On to the exhibits

Pre-history in China

Ancient tomb, real skeleton, shell decorations

Enter the Bronze age, with beautifully crafted wine vessels



Jade seal (about one foot long)




Jade and gold belt buckle


These are coins (about three inches long)



Very sophisticated, very clean, very well presented exhibits.


From the Ming Emperor tombs, terracotta warriors and horse

Small figures (about 9 inches tall) from another tomb.

A jade and gold burial cover

detail

Another magnificent wine vessel

gift shop

Gold Seal

Tomb decoration
This is quite spectacular

And this as well

Cheney tells me this is quite famous in China


A royal headdress 

detail

A "knick-knack" salesman (that was the English translation)

Another seal, jade about a foot square.

And finally into my favorite Chinese arts, ceramics.

A glimpse of the size of the place. 


Cloisene

Ceramic for the European trade

detail

At this point, after about four hours, and having worn my soft shoes, 
my feet were in agony.  But.  We came upon an exhibit of items
that had been given as gifts by visiting envoys, to Chairman Mao, and those 
that followed him. This was a very exciting exhibit, and despite my pain, we got through it. 
I've saved those pictures for the next blog.

A peak at the treasures.

Selfie (s)

And, after a nap, off to their favorite hot pot restaurant. 
The above shot doesn't even show the veggies.

Heather, Belle, Cheney

And yes, I managed with the chopsticks very well.  Mostly.

Have I only been here one day?

1 comment:

  1. Excellent records.
    Just two corrections. 1) Heather was a scholar in BSU instead of a student. 2) terracotta warriors and horse were from Qing Emperors (220 B.C.) instead of Ming Emperors (1368 ~ 1644 A.D.).

    ReplyDelete