Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Coastal Texas Birds May 2018

What an amazing experience!  I saw birds I haven't seen in years (Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Wilson's Phalarope), and birds I have only seen in captivity (Crested Caracara), that even though I missed the migration, and didn't see the Whooping Cranes at Aransas NWR, it was still a very rewarding trip.
Here are some of the best shots of the trip.

Ruddy Turnstone
One of the most numerous birds at the shore, and everywhere. 
They came within 3 feet as I was picnicking, hoping (with the Laughing Gulls) for a dropped morsel. 

Short-billed Dowitcher
My first decent picture of one.  

Blur-winged Teal
The most numerous duck in the area.  If you saw ducks, they were BWT.


Brown Pelican
Both Brown and White were there, but the white I saw only in one group on a pier. 


Snowy Egret

Forster's Tern

Black-necked Stilt
A bird I have seen but once in MA, but saw every day in Texas.
How elegant can a bird be?

White Ibis

Yellow-throated Vireo
Probably the most colorful of our Vireos

Black-and-white Warbler
This bird practically begged to be photographed. 

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck
Found year-round in Texas, occasionally in Fla, Ga. SC.

Chestnut-sided Warbler
This was probably the first Warbler I learned to recognize in Western NC as a teen-ager. 
Still a great bird, in every wa

American Avocets
Having seen one for the first time in 20 years at the Outer Banks in April, now I see them everywhere.


Dunlin, very common in MA.

Wilson's  Phalarope
Perhaps my favorite sighting, along with the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher.  
What incredible coloring.

Crested Caracara
My first time ever to see one in the wild.  And then I saw them every day for the rest of the week. 
He is related to vultures more than hawks. 

Typical beech scene during the week. 

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
A life-list bird, and really spectacular.  I saw one earlier, with bad lighting, and 
then, a short while later, found this one (same bird?) with good lighting. 

And then he flew for me!

Whimbrel
My first photo.  Now if I can just find a Long-billed Curlew!

Pied-billed Grebe.
This little fellow was swimming  about 5 feet close to a huge alligator!

And here he is.  

Jumping spider
About the size of a small marble, but what great jaws!  And eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment