Sunday, May 6, 2018

Birds from NY/DC/NC/Conn Trip

I have a lot of catching up to do.  Between the trip to Jamaica Bay in NYC, then on to Washington for the National Gallery with Don, Barbara and Bill, then on to NC to visit with Gigi, Marilyn and Marshall, back to MA. for a two-concert weekend, followed by my Texas bird trip of five days, I have not had a moment to connect with my Blog.  So here is the start of a lot of info.
I start with what birds I saw on the trip, which were fewer than hoped, although I did really enjoy seeing the American Avocet, which I have not seen in many years.
Here are my best shots of the trip, again not much new, but still very enjoyable.

First four are from Jamaica Bay Wildlife Sanctuary,  right next to JFK Airport, NYC

Osprey, always a favorite sight
Double-crested Cormorant


Tree Swallow

Phoebe

These next nine are from the Outer Banks, NC

Northern Shoveler

And here he is, my first American Avocet in years, and certainly my first photo.
I would see hundreds more (!) in the next few days, and then hundreds more in Texas.
He (and the huge flock) were a very long distance off, so this is the best I could do. 

Semipalmated Sandpipers

Royal Tern

Royal Tern

Killdeer


Willet

Black-bellied Plover

And on the Lewes-Cape May Ferry:

Northern Gannet

Northern Gannet

And finally, in Connecticut, headed home:

Yellow-rumped Warbler

House Wren

Common Tern

White-throated Sparrow

and unexpectedly, a Red-Throated Loon!

No comments:

Post a Comment