Thursday, November 10, 2016

Sunrise at Poundingmill Overlook, and two falls

I always make an effort when visiting Brevard, to get up early and try to get up to Pounding Mill Overlook, on the Blue Ridge Parkway, just south of Rt. 276.  It is where Mom and Dad's ashes are scattered, and it is to me as sacred as a place can be.  It is hard not to be stunned by the view, and couple that with a sunrise in almost any weather,  it is always worth the trip.  Usually I would go north to the Pisgah Inn and have blueberry pancakes, grits and bacon, but the Inn was closed.
Then Don took me to a falls I had not visited before, Daniel Ridge Falls, with Bruce, and the three of us then went to Courthouse Falls.
Leaving Boston, the plane flew over the island which was the inspiration for "Shutter Island"
The bridge was demolished and all the inmates moved elsewhere.

This is World's End, a park off of Hingham. 

7:AM at Pounding Mill Overlook, Blue Ridge Parkway


Pounding Mill Overlook is the dome on the right.  In the distance is
Looking Glass Rock, called by the Indians, the "Devil's Looking Glass" especially coated with ice.

Scott was mensch enough to get up really early for the sunrise.

Selfie

Davidson River below Looking Glass Rock

My first time to see this falls, thanks to Don.
Daniel Ridge Falls

So very cool to be out in the forest with my twin, Don, and my
younger brother Bruce, from Hubley, Nova Scotia.





And an old favorite, Courthouse Falls.  The bowl below has the coldest swimming I have
done in my life.  Very unusual to see any sunlight on the falls at all.
I believe this was Don Macleod's favorite falls.

Bruce adding some perspective.




We came back up to the parkway, and drove to the highest point on the
Blue Ridge Parkway, 6280' or thereabouts. And the Ash berries were spectacular.



This is Devil's Courthouse from the West.

That evening we went to Tim and Sylvia Bryson's welcoming home,
with good wine, great Italian cuisine, and a lot of laughter.

Bruce, Don, Doug  on a rare and wonderful occasion together.
God bless Mary's memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment