Monday, November 21, 2016

Golf, Westerly and Watch Hill, etc.

Great final week of golf (probably) it is getting really cold.  I played Crosswinds on a spectacularly beautiful day on Wednesday, played again on Friday at Squirrel Run (shooting the best 9 holes ever), then travelled to Westerly, RI, to perform Vaughan-Williams' :"Hodie" with that remarkable chorus under the direction of Andrew Howells. 
I visited with my camera some of my favorite architectural splendors of the area, of which there are many.
Here is a round-up of photos. 

One of the lovely holes at Crosswinds GC, perhaps my favorite course.
Even in a poor fall year, when the oaks change, it makes for a beautiful setting.

The back nine at Squirrel Run (the front nine shall remain my secret).
The first time I ever parred a course.

My over-all favorite restaurant in Westerly, RI
(They had St. Urbans-hof  Riesling by the glass!)

And my other favorite.

I drove down to Watch Hill, and it was bitter and windy.

Some wonderful money-is-no-object houses here.



The great, restored "Ocean House" Inn

The famous Watch Hill Chapel, site of many Summer weddings.

Huge all-stone property overlooking the ocean. 
Probably couldn't find a lot big enough in Newport.

Mary Cool's charming house, and my hostess in Westerly when I stay overnight.

The Westerly Train Station

and the library.

I am not sure what this building is, but it looks like something
out of an Italian hill town.  All brick.

The manse for the Episcopal Church, and home for many years of
Maryann and Bob Anthony, who were my hosts for many years.


The George Kent Performance Hall, named for the great conductor who founded the
Westerly Chorus. 

In the hall, getting ready for "Hodie"

Susan Thomas, Harp, and Gary Buttery, Tuba

The usual suspects: Brian Sturm, Mark Weaver, and myself, trombone section.

Early AM, waiting for the bus
Carter, passenger, Alex, driver

And this evening's sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment