Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Cusco, Peru Rail, Machu Picchu

  My Peru adventure began with a Jet Blue flight to Fort Lauderdale, and then continued to Lima.  Overnight in the Costa de Sol Ramada Inn at the airport, then a 7:00 AM flight on LAN airlines to Cusco.  Checking in at the Casa Andina Cusco Plaza, I had the afternoon to explore Cusco, one of the most fascinating a historic cities in Peru.  I explored the cathedral (huge, chapels everywhere), and a alter covered with silver toward the nave, and covered with gold on the back.  On the opposite corner was the Iglesia de la Compania, smaller, but even more ornate inside.  I sneaked a photo from the balcony.
  Up early the next day to catch the Peru Rail train to Machu Picchu, and what spectacular scenery on this day-long journey through higher and higher mountains. Overnight in the Presidente.
  Machu Picchu is a town on both sides of the Urubamba river, and is the starting point for busses up to the Incan citadel which is a world heritage site. And it is breathtaking, both visually, and trying to suck in oxygen.  I found both Cusco and the citadel really hard to walk around.  No headaches or nausea (thank you, South Shore travel clinic!) but not very much strength. 
  I've published the birds I found in the town of Machu Picchu, and here are a few photos from the journey there.




Iglesia de la Compania

Exterior, Iglesia de la Compania

In the Archbishop's Palace

The Archbishop's palace had room after room of paintings, mostly from the
"Cusco School", but surprisingly, none were identified.

The courtyard of the Archbishop's palace

Inca musicians, Plaza de Armas
The Peru Rail cars were almost as good as the Canadian Railway.  And the food served was excellent. 
 

The closer to Machu Picchu, the more grand the scenery

The beginnings of Inca sites.

This was actually taken on the way back to Cusco
I am afraid I didn't to the site justice.  I was beyond exhaustion trying to climb all the stone steps,
And, unfortunately, I had my camera set on a tungsten setting, and so washed out a lot of the color.
Truth to tell, it was a very dark and cloudy day, and the day finished with a colossal downpour.

The town of Machu Picchu.  The line on the right is waiting to catch one of the many busses that make the trek up to the citadel.  A two-hour wait wasn't uncommon, but as I came from my hotel into view of the first bus, looked up the hill and saw the line, I almost gave up the idea of going, and then suddenly the driver in the first bus in front (!) yelled out the window "Uno?" I said "si" and he jumped out and guided me on to the bus.  Whither it was because I was "uno" or I was a senior citizen, I don't know, but I had that happen several times on the trip, special care being given to me because of my age. It even happened in Lima, at the terminal, where I was taken out of an interminable line, and taken through ahead of everybody.  Just incredible.





Temple of the Condor


Looking down from a window to the valley far below

Thanks to my twin, Don, who fiddled with these pictures and tried to make them presentable. 



Almost the only moment when there was sunlight on the site.

This was my first bird photographed in Peru!  However, I could not find anything in the bird guide that looked like this, and I thought, "They are discovering new species in Peru all the time. Maybe this could be a Wauchope's Hummingbird!"
Then Gustavo pointed out very diplomatically that that was pollen on the birds brow.  This is probably a White-bellied Hummingbird.

Rusty Flowerpiercer

No comments:

Post a Comment