Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Mt.Auburn Warblers

On Tuesday I traveled into Cambridge with David Ludlow and a group from the South Shore Audubon, and it was magical.  We saw the most wonderful collection of Warblers, in fact the most I have ever seen in one morning.  However, like the amateur photographer I am, I forgot to check my camera battery, and 15 minutes into the walk, my camera died.  I hid my great disappointment, (I was devastated), and resolved to return the following day, with a good battery.  I had the time of my life, and got photos of several birds I had not photographed  before. 
I've tried to be selective, but I have a hard time throwing away a good, clear photo. So here are quite a few, but I hope the bird lovers among you will forgive the extended blog.
 


I've actually started with the second day at Mt. Auburn.  I walked to the "Dell" and just sat down overlooking the pond, and had warblers in view from the beginning.  Many, like this Magnolia, came down to the edge of the water to bathe, giving me the perfect opportunity to photograph them.

Blackpoll Warbler

Immature Yellow-rumped Warbler,  the most numerous warbler to be seen.

I am just not sure what this is.  Perhaps if David sees this blog, he can help me out.



Common Yellow-throat



A Bay-breasted Warbler, my first photograph of one and my second sighting of one.


Black-throated Green Warbler
 



Magnolia Warbler



Common Yellow-throat



Parula Warbler



Northern Parula


And another I am unsure of. 



Redstart



My first photograph of a Black-throated Blue Warbler

Beautiful full-colored Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler



Common Yellow-throat

"Splish, splash, I wuz taken a bath...."



Female Black-throated Blue Warbler



Female Black-throated Green?











Northern Parula



Yellow-rumped reeeely in a mating mood



Northern Parula

Yellow Warbler



Another Bay-breasted Warbler




I haven't identified this Sparrow yet.


and finally, a Blackburnian Warbler, always a great sighting.  There was an Alder bush on the edge of the pond in the Dell, about the size of a small car, and in that bust, all at the same time were Yellow-rumped, the Blackburnian, a Black-throated Blue, a Louisiana Water Thrush, and a Black-throated Green.  I stood in the same spot for 20 minutes, and got all of them except the Waterthrush (well, I got him but all I got was the eye-stripe)

Blackburnian Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Now the only way this could be better would be if you could see the even more vivid
orange on the chest.

Black-throated Green Warbler



Black-throated Green Warbler

Northern Parula

It was great to see the Trillium blooming






As I was driving out, this young Northern (Baltimore?) Oriole was right next to the car.









These next few pictures were from the first day when my camera died. 
Color everywhere.

Our first bird in the cemetery  Red-tailed Hawk

Beautiful Oriole

just above the "Dell"


My one Warbler of the day, the Cape May.


No comments:

Post a Comment