Saturday, March 15, 2014

Owl Prowl with Oliver

Friday night, my 8 year old grandchild, Oliver, and I went on an Owl Prowl at Ipswich Wildlife Sanctuary.  No sightings of owls, but Oliver got to see a Woodcock, and we heard a Barred Owl.
I stayed over night at Ken and Erin's, (Ken is my oldest, they live in Groveland) and then we went out to Plum Island to try to make up for no Owls. 
We saw a Snowy right off the bat, Northern Harrier, a Bald Eagle quite a ways off, and finally, a very unique bird, a Luetistic Robin, which is a Robin with genetic alterations, including albinoism.
Oliver and I spotted it right outside of the Wildcat Swamp trail, and we asked a group of birders what we were looking at.  He told us the group was looking for the Luetistic, and when I showed him the photo I took, they were all very excited.
Here are photos
Oliver, with his Snowy Owl hat, ready to prowl

The stuffed collection at the Ipswich nature center, including a
Snowy, Screech-Owl, Barred and Great Horned

A male Wild Turkey, getting more and more attractive
"I'm walkin', yes indeed, I'm talkin...."

The tower at Plum Island

The frozen marshes





And here is the Luetistic Robin, not a very good photo, but definitely him.

A great sight, always.  He is about a half mile away.

No comments:

Post a Comment