Sunday, June 9, 2019

Grandkids, birds, etc.

A catching-up blog, containing photos from the last very busy week. I saw a lot of Oliver, who went birding with me on Saturday morning, saw him play in a steel band, and we saw "Dark Phoenix" together. Here's more.

On a walk in Strier Conservancy I saw this fly hovering about 6 feet away.  I some how managed to focus and 
take the picture. 

Eastern Towhee, a great show-off


A  wonderful day at Plum Island.  Oliver brought me significant luck as this Killdeer was
about 4 feet from the car. 

And immediately afterword, a unique find: a Wilson's Phalarope!
Only the third time I have ever seen one.  It  caused quite a sensation among the
many birders that morning. 
This is the female, the more colorful of the two

Here is the male.

And the female again.  

The Osprey

Oliver on the lookout

Baltimore Oriole as we left the sanctuary.

At the Mitchell School at Alex's farewell march at he moves up to Grade 4


Here is Belle, Heather and Cheney's daughter, all of whom I will be 
visiting and staying with in Beijing


Oliver's Steel Band performance.


Looking very intense, as he usually does.

Before I left Newburyport I took the opportunity to climb the steeple at the UUChurch, which was
 a fund-raiser for Jackson's trip to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, in S. Dakota

Add caption


You walk up through about four levels to reach the view from the steeple. Here is the church attic.
Some  incredible 17th. century wood beams and flooring.

The church bell, made by Paul Revere's sons.



The steeple is the highest point in Newburyport.

Song Sparrow, from Massasoit State Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment