Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Trip to Mt. Auburn Cemetery

Back-to-back birding trips, one with Susan MacCallum to Duxbury Beach, and Tuesday with David Ludlow to Mt. Auburn Cemetery.  Both days moderately successful, probably not as hoped by the leaders, but both with good surprises.  I had my new Canon 100-400 ii lens, and it is proving to be the lens I have always wanted.
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
I can't tell you how excited I was to see this bird.  This was in the parking lot of the North Hill Sanctuary, 
before even boarding the van.  I haven't seen one of these in probably 30 years.  And never had a decent photo. 
What a great way to start with the new lens. 

Much later, in the van, shot through the window, a nesting Piping Plover on Duxbury Beach. 
Thanks to Susan's keen eye 

Back at the parking lot, under the feeders.  Good way to test this lens.

Arriving at Mt. Auburn, and we have SUNSHINE!!

Black-and-White Warbler.  
The group saw Nashville, Yellow-rumped, Black-throated Blue, Black-throated Green, Wilson's, 
Worm-eating (a life list for me), Yellow, Northern Parula and Common Yellowthroat. 
I didn't see the Nashville or the Wilson's although I photographed Wilson's in Costa Rica.

Baltimore Oriole

Red-bellied next to nest


Black-throated Green Warbler

Red-winged Blackbird (female)

?

Blue-headed Vireo

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Black-and-White Warbler

Northern Parula

Worm-eating Warbler, a first for me

Worm-eating Warbler

Chipping Sparrow

Back at the parking lot, North River, male Ruby-throated Hummingbird

The group, David Ludlow far right. 

Give you an idea of the beauty of the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment