Saturday, October 8, 2016

Strier Conservancy

Always a special place for a walk.  That said, the drought has had it's effect.  I did not see a single insect the entire walk, and every sink that was always filled with water was dry.  I would almost prefer to deal with the mosquitoes that were so rampant in the past, as to have this lack of life. 
I can't help but believe it has taken a huge toll on the bird life, and of course, the fall colors are very very absent,  with the lack of water and the huge hit we took from the caterpillars.
But even in the somberness, there is beauty, and the great part is that I usually have it all to myself.

As I left Oak Point, this fox came running across the lawn, seemingly unconcerned
about my seeing him, rolling down the window and taking his picture.
I'm not sure he is completely healthy, maybe it is a fall coat

If you like ferns, you will love Strier. 
And I do love them, especially this time of the year.


Surprising amount of toadstools on the path.

No matter how dull the surroundings, you can almost guarantee
color in the Poison Ivy

This is what most of our red maples will look like this fall.

Ah, but what a beautiful path.



More poison ivy

This bench was added recently, and it is at a perfect place.   As I sat down,
a huge Great Blue Heron  gallumped into the air.

A huge leaf adds color to the marsh.

A rare bright red maple.



2 comments:

  1. Once again your photos amaze me! So refreshing in the midst of a nurty world. Thank you! Wheres Strier?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again your photos amaze me! So refreshing in the midst of a nurty world. Thank you! Wheres Strier?

    ReplyDelete