Thursday, September 10, 2015

Photos from my past

Since I am stuck to the house, recovering from my knee replacement (going very well, thank you), I stumbled across  a box of printed photos, probably originally destined for photo albums, and it was fascinating to see what was there.  I present these in no great order, but there are some very meaningful photos (at least to me). 
Amiens Cathedral.
Susan and I took our first trip to Paris with the goal of seeing as many of the cathedrals as we could.
After about 16 or so, Susan had had it.  But I loved every one.

Angel Glacier, Jasper, BC
Oh what a trip, with my two sons, Ken and Scott
We did day hikes from Banff, up the Icefield parkway, and into Jasper. 
Perhaps the most beautiful trip of my life. (vying with Alaska)
When the three of us reached the top of the mountain, totally exhausted, we met the
Canadian Woman's Hiking Club, average age about 80, who have climbed all the Canadian Rockies peaks.

Beauvais Cathedral, the tallest Gothic cathedral ever attempted.

Bourges Cathedral, five wide aisles, no transept, most of its medieval glass intact.

Bourges

Bourges

Dad's friend,  Freddy the squirrel

Grand Canyon

Taken at night from the Jules Verne restaurant in the Eifel tower.
The Invalides is at center, and you can see Notre Dame in the distance, top left.

Ken, Johnson Glacier
In climbing up the wall behind this picture, about a 100' climb, a rock came away in my hand, and I simply froze,  I could
not move, and the boys taunted me, but finally I had no choice but to go up or down, and went up and made it.

Lake Louise. 
One of my favorite stories:  I came in front of the lodge before sunrise and set up my tripod, and
waited for the sun to shoot across the valley from behind.  I was totally focused on what was in front of me,
and when I finally snapped the shutter, I heard this sound like a dozen crickets behind me, and
I had been totally unaware that about 20 Japanese tourists had set up behind me, and were being totally respectful of
my solitude.

Ah, hair.
Lighthouse Art and Music Camp, Penn.
About 1971

New England Conservatory Orchestra, 1968
As best as I can remember,
Ed Hoffman, Jim Tinsley, Lee Stevens trumpets
Wauchope, Mike Houle, Ted Toupin, trombones
Jay Aten, tuba

The Satuit Band in their home shell, Scituate.
Being very ably conducted now by Charlie Shaffer




Scott and Ken looking back down the trail towards Banff
We were headed for what is considered to be the toughest day hike
in Banff, the Cory Pass

The Wauchope coat of arms

I believe this is Laon Cathedral, the one with the famous
oxen in the towers.

No comments:

Post a Comment