Friday, September 4, 2015

Oliver, Harvard NHM, Hummers

It has been quite a few weeks since I posted; I've had a knee replaced, which has pretty much consumed my time for the past two weeks. Previous to that, I had a nice two days with Oliver, my grandson of 10 years, and the one avid about birds.  I took the ferry into Rowes Wharf and we the Harvard Natural History Museum,m a place I haven't been to since the 60's.  A perfect place for a budding naturalist, and I had forgotten how amazing the glass flower collection was.  Overnight at Oak Point, and then out with the pro birders from South Shore Audubon, the Friday AM birdwalk with David Ludlow.  Saw 54 species, pretty spectacular for this time of the year. Few photos, I had the camera set for the indoor museum! \
And finally, the Ruby-throats have been after my Butterfly Bush all summer, and I finally sat in the door overlooking the deck, and got some good views. 



The trip in on the Hingham Ferry



Seems pretty low for an approach to Logan

The approach to Rowes Wharf,  beautiful morning



Oliver at State Street station, with his constant companion,
a Calvin and Hobbs collection



 
Harvard Natural History Museum


Pretty remarkable preserved Passenger Pigeon
 

When Oliver first saw these, he couldn't believe they were glass.

The flowers all have their stamens and pistols all enlarged in glass, 40x or 50x.

hall of minerals, incredible

Out to birding the next AM. 





David Ludlow on the right.  No luck on our quest for a
Seaside Sparrow.







Returning home on the Ferry, fantastic clouds over Boston



And here are the Hummers, a pair, a female and I believe a young male.














No comments:

Post a Comment