Sunday, January 12, 2014

Westerly, R.I. birding

I spent Thursday through Sunday in Westerly, R.I. playing with the Westerly Chorus in their 12th Night concerts.  Bitterly cold on Thursday and Friday, snow, then heavy rain and warmer on Sat, and then really warm and sunny on Sun.  Only in N.E.
Despite the weather, I got in some good birding, including my first Bald Eagle of the year. Here are the results.
This is Jackson and Oliver at Pratt's farm last week.  About 14" of snow.

I think this is an immature Broad-Wing

Duxbury Beach last week, wind chill at about 0 degrees,

Thursday afternoon at Ninigret Wildlife Sanctuary, in Charleston, R.I.

I had the place totally to myself

Snow Buntings at the Coast Guard Lighthouse, Watch Hill
Friday AM

A flock of perhaps 40, never very still

Just North of Rt. 95, on Rt. 117, my first Bald Eagle.
(about a mile away)
Saturday AM, in the rain


This is a fishing trawler at Stonington, Conn
.

A loon right in the dock, Stonington

R-B Merganser, (f)

R-B Merganser, (m)

Harbor Seal, Stonington Harbor

At Misquamicut Beach, another Snowy!
Sunday AM

No comments:

Post a Comment