Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Peabody-Essex Museum visit

This morning Susan and I met my sister Barbara and her husband Bill at the Peabody-Essex Museum, principally to see the "Impressionists on the Water" which was small, but a lot of fun.  I sneaked one photo (not allowed) of my favorite painting in the exhibit by an artist I was unfamiliar with, Eugene Isabey, whose harbor scene was breath-taking.  I also visited the modern Japanese fashion exhibit, which was startling, and of course the maritime arts wing, which I have always loved. Here are some photos from the visit.
The architecture of the PEM is still striking.  It is a space you want to spend time in.

Here is the Isabey work, which showed such attention to detail.  His water technique was second to none.


Susan, either meditating, or watching many of the youngsters running around the lunch area.

Contemporary furniture, new to the museum (?)

This was titled "A chair for an important small person"

I expected more models in the main exhibit, but was disappointed. But there is no lack of
great ship models.  This was made by French prisoner, all of ivory.

I regret not writing down the artist, this is such a striking and vivid painting, titled something like
"the new ways arrive" as the fisherman gaze at the steam dragger.  The water looks as if it would wet your finger if you touched the painting.

The detail, the detail!

This was, I believe, new.  The modeler has shown a grounded freighter
being broken up by the salvagers.  This is totally different from the usual
theme of a model showing the ship in perfect condition.

Truly remarkable modeling skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment