Tuesday, September 3, 2013

 I have always been a fan of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, and have been a member for many years.  I have great memories of taking Mom and Dad to see it, and how much Dad, expecially, enjoyed the furniture. Now, I have discovered that I have two grandchildren who love it also.  They have visited it with classes from their school, and with teachers who really know how to introduce them to the various art forms. Susan and I took Jackson and Oliver to the MFA, since both Erin and Ken had to work, and their private school doesn't start until tomorrow, so we took them for the day.  And what a day.  They seemed excited about everything,  and we covered a lot of art in 4 hours.  Here are some photos of the MFA experience. Jackson in 10 and Oliver is 8, by-the-way.
The Japanese Garden

Oliver in the huge art space at the top of the stairs

Oliver said this is one of his favorites


Monet"s "La Japanoise" under repair

tiny pin in anchient civilization jewelry room

In the "Mummy" room

I tried some eerie noises and moans but didn't get very far.
Perhaps the guard thought I wasn't serious enough for the environment

Jackson and the fascinating Egyptian writing

The exhibit "Hippie Chic" was in full swing. And what a beautiful display it was.


What a great time the men had!  Why should the women have all the fun?

Grooooovy

A lot of it is very beautifully, and very skillfully done

This was my favorite

Stunning

A Chinese import cabinet

and an Indian import. (that is all ivory inlay)

In the new American wing, in the ship gallery

And we had to visit the Audubon exhibit
(Bluejay)

A great example of the realism, and sometimes violence of the prints
Here, a groups of Mockingbirds are trying to drive off a rattlesnake.

And the holy grail of birders, the Ivory-billed Woodpecker
Supposedly seen recently, but the video has bee debunked.
Last confirmed sightings were in the '50's

In the Monet room


Jackson and Oliver said the this was one of Erin's favorite works.
 



Again, one of my favorites.
The MFA is one of the great treasures of Boston, and rightly so.
I try to go at least six time a year, and I can always find something new to be astounded over.
Of all the exhibits, I still think the glass sculpture exhibit of perhaps 6 or 8 years ago was the most impressive.
I really wish they would do a Michael Cooper show. 

No comments:

Post a Comment