Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Experiments with flash

My new Canon flash attachment has been the source of some very interesting photos and some frustration.  I need more time with it, but I sure see the possibilities.
Here are some first tries.
Catbird on top of the feeder.  Very dark,  almost too dark to focus. 


Robin, at least 40 yards from the camera. 

Chipping sparrows (juvenals) about 20 yards away

Moulting Cardinal
Obviously I need to get the flash a bit further from the camera.

One of three (!) raccoons on the back deck trying to open the can of bird feed. 
I opened the door and shouted, and he barely moved. 

Downy Woodpecker about 30 yards off.


Goldfinch 10 feet away

Catbird, 40 yards. 

Incredibly, an  Oven Bird. 
This is not a bird you get to see very often.  I had one in the garden about 
5 years ago, and was amazed back then as well.  You can stand in the woods, and hear
"Teacher, teacher, teacher, teacher" ten feet away and not see this bird. 
So here he is again, wonder to behold. 



I couldn't extend the lens and flash out the window without scaring him away, so 
I have gotten some reflected flash from the side of the window, but I am really happy to have gotten these. 
And it certainly is showing me the possibilities of flash. 


No comments:

Post a Comment