Sunday, September 2, 2012

   I'm not sure, almost, where to begin.  The whole week leading up to my 70th birthday was such a wonderful time. 
   On Saturday and Monday I spent the day with Scott and Cheryl and Alex and Carter, they wanted me to do some photos of them at Saquish, and at the Mazzoli's and that was a treat. 
   On Thursday, I spent the day with Jackson and Oliver, Ken's children, in Boston going to the U.S.S. constitution, and the destroyer USS Cassin Young.  When I asked Ken if I could join him for dinner, he suggested that I might want to get home early and get a good night's sleep, and then gave me my birthday present, tickets to the US Open Tennis championships in Flushing Meadows at the Arthur Ashe Stadium.
    We met at 5AM on Friday, my birthday, and we drove in Ken's new mini Cooper, arriving in plenty of time for breakfast, and the first match with the defending US Open woman's champion, Samantha Stoser, who dispatched her oponent fairly quickly,  Then it was Novak Djokovic, defending US Open champion, destroying his openent.  Then the babe, Maria Sharapova, the one who screams at every swing, also dominating.  And finally the Williams sisters in a great game of doubles, with some absolutely wild volleys. We baked in the heat for 7 hours, but it was a very exciting experience.
    Saturday, we celebrated my birthday, Susan having quickly re-arranged the party because of the last minute trip to NY.  Ken, Erin, Jackson and Oliver came, Scott, Sheryl, Alex and Carter, and sister Barbara and husband Bill Humm.  Great dinner, and the most wonderful surprise from Scott, who had taken 70, count them, 70 brids from my blog, and created a montage of them all in a huge panel, which you see pictured.  What a ferocious amount of work, and what a work of art. 
   And finally, today, Susan, Barbara, Bill and I went down to Plymouth and visited, for the first time, the house that the Mayflower Society uses for it's headquarters.  Wonderful house































   So, a lot more photos than usual, and please be patient, but it was quite a week.  And tomorrow I pack for Tuesday's trip to (gasp) Alaska, to continue the unending celebration of my 70th birthday with my twin.  As my mother would have said, "My stars above!".

No comments:

Post a Comment