Monday, October 17, 2022

Sept 29,30, Oct. 1 To Tarifa by way of Malaga, Birding (birds next blog).

 The trip from Granada to Tarifa was terrific (ahem).  Not only was it another spectacular day of mostly brilliant sunshine, temp in the 70's, and my driver, Rafael, was an opera lover, and we listened to the "Three Tenors" among other things and sang along when we could.  The trip went through Malaga on the Southern Spanish coast overlooking the Mediterranean, and one could see why large segments of Europeans (especially Northern Europeans come to Spain's sun-blessed coast.  Malaga would be worth a visit in itself, but in my brief stop, I got to explore the spectacular Castilo de Gibralfaro, considered the most powerful Moorish stronghold in Islamic Spain. 

I continued on to Tarifa, stopping at an incredible overlook out to the Strait of Gibraltar, and, to my wonder and amazement, looked over into Africa!  What a stupendous sight.  

I checked in to my wonderful hotel in Tarifa, and then for the next two days, with Pablo Santonja's expert guidance, saw so many of the birds I hoped to photograph.  More about that in the next blog.  But this blog shows you the terrain, a Roman archeological site on a beach (Bolonia), and mountain ranges, full of vultures. It was a very rewarding end to my time in Spain. 

Driving South towards Malaga

In the museum, Castilo de Gibralfaro overlooking the harbor of Malaga.



Fantastic views over the town and the Mediterranean 





Looks like another great cathedral to explore.  Next time. 


In the museum, a falconet, or small canon. 

And a parade of soldiers through the centuries. 






Driving west along the coast, finally the looming sight of the Rock of Gibraltar!

Wonderful mountain views near the coast. 

And at a wonderful lookout, Africa!  A new continent for me.


My Moorish-inspired room at the Hotel and Spa La Resedencia Puerto

From the terrace, seeing the ferry to Morrocco.  If I had a free day, I would have gone over
just for the ride.

Up early the next day, birding with Pablo, who picked me up in his car at the hotel. 


Beautiful hilltop town on the road north up the coast.

A private golf course.

In the hills above Tarifa, and old fortifications guarding the Strait of Gibraltar. 


A farm below. 

Looking down on Tarifa, and a friendly toro. 



On the top of a mountain, a site dedicated to bird observation.  Pable and I sat (chilly), and watched 
birds flying over in migration.  

More of the Strait of Gibraltar, Africa in the distance. 


Radar station monitoring the boat traffic.  The high-speed ferry photographed earlier from my hotel
terrace is seen racing across the Strait. 



Some rugged mountains to the west. 

Lunch with Pablo, overlooking the Roman ruins at Bolonia





Pablo's favorite mountain, a nesting place for hundreds of Griffon Vultures. 




From the mountains, looking back South towards Tarifa, and the 
spectacular Atlantic coast beaches.


Looking down on Bolonia

Thank you, Pablo, for two unforgettable days of scenery and birding.



No comments:

Post a Comment