Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Costa Rica I, the flight, Bougainvillea

 And so begins my third trip to Costa Rica, which extended from March 21 to April 1. The added joy of sharing my experiences with Sally and Neal and their first trip, and the discoveries they will make, made for exciting expectations, all fulfilled.  I didn't hope to add many birds to my life list (4), but I did hope to improve on my capture with camera some of the most beautiful birds in the world, and I did so.  

The lift-off at Logan airport was breath-taking, one of the most beautiful views of 
Boston I've had.  All taken with my new I-phone 13 Pro Max.  


If you look closely at about 9:00 O'clock, just below the water, you can see the
USS Constitution.  And a great view of the Zakim bridge
The flight was a long one.  I left at 6:30 A.M. and arrived at
Bougainvillea Hotel at 11:30 PM.  Two 3 hour layovers in Houston and Panama.

My first bird at breakfast in the feeder outside the window.
A White-winged dove. 

And the walk into the garden.  Quite a shock, after leaving cold, bleak, 
brown and grey New England. 




My first warbler for the season, a Yellow warbler, probably headed up to 
Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge. 

An almost guaranteed bird in the Gardens on Bougainvillea Hotel.
The Blue-crowned Mot Mot, a remarkably gorgeous bird, very hard to do 
justice to the colors.
This one has lost one of his long tail feathers. 

Another favorite, the Rufous-naped Wren, a very large wren, and 
unafraid to be seen. 


This is the tower in the garden where I would sit, watch for birds, and buzz on my mouthpiece.
(It did make a difference.  When I returned to Middleboro and picked up my bass trombone, 
it felt so much better than I expected.) 

A pano view of the scene below. 


One of the many paths to explore. 

 Tropical Screech-owl, a first for me at Bougainvillea. 

 Ruddy Pigeon


First Great Kiskadee of many. 

The first hummer of the trip, a Magnificent, female.

Bougainvillea Hotel is a great first stop in San Jose, Costa Rica, a charming, well-appointed hotel
with a spectacular garden, great hospitality, and superb food. 
Highly recommended.

Next Blog: Savegre!!


No comments:

Post a Comment