Tuesday, May 25, 2021

With Don in New Orleans

This photo should have been added at the very end of the blog, after Don and I arrived in Atlanta.
This is at Neal's house.
L to R: Doug, Matthew, Neal holding Silas (I gave him a quick music lesson), Don, Sally


 Don fulfilled his promise to show me the best of New Orleans. Here is a record of my first (and probably last) visit to Nola.  A very varied experience indeed. 

My first meal in Nola was barbecued Oysters with Blue Cheese, and I payed for that, no tums available. My second night was at Dickie Brennan's Steak House, where I had the best steak since Alaska.

My second full day was the drive to Grand Isle and birding.  The birds are in a previous blog, here are a few pictures from that day.

A huge live oak on the way to Grand Isle



At the Grande Isle State Park.

What a wonderful structure.

Back at the Wyndham French Quarter, from my room, the Mississippi, evening.
Awaiting for Don's arrival on the train.


And the next morning, on our way to breakfast.

I discovered that Royal Street is one of the world's great antique centers.

Jackson Square, and St. Louis Cathedral



Don with a brief moment of calm.


St. Louis Cathedral, and Andrew Jackson statue.

Don's promised trip to the Cafe du Monde.  
Baguettes and coffee, and jazz!

Serenaded by tenor sax, two drummers, and tuba.  The saxophonist was from the South of France. 
We traded musician's jokes.

A live oak in the square. 

On the way back, Don went ahead to the hotel, and I dawdled in as many antique shops as I could.


An enormous gold and silver collection by Tiffany.

Remarkable antique gun collection

Don met me for lunch at the Courtyard of the Two Sisters, for a great omelette and more jazz. 


The famous New Orleans ironwork, everywhere. 

And another promise checked off, a paddle-wheel steamboat trip on the Mississippi.  This is the
"City of New Orleans"

And the steam calliope!  Unbelievably out-of-tune volumn.
A terrific jazz trio on board, however, very tasty, elegant.  

Wonderful sights, and education, along the river.  

The second largest sugar refinery in the world (No. 1 in Brazil).

Typical barge tug.

Fantastic seamanship, perfect docking in heavy winds. 
Don and I went to dinner at the Desire oyster bar, a destination he and Mary found many years ago. 
I had gumbo, and Shrimp Estouffe, OMG.  After dinner, Don and I tried to find some jazz, but the Preservation hall was closed (on tour), and another venue was closed.  We walked Bourbon street, 
and heard very, very loud rock bands, no acoustic music anywhere.  A shame.  

Don is his train compartment.  Twelve hours, and no deck of cards!  But what a treat to share that part
of his monumental continental train trip.  We were taken in by Sally and Neal, and I got to 
see Neal's great bird photography from Texas.  
Thank you, Don, for inspiring me to come down and join you in Nola!
Now we are trying to come up with something for our 80th. birthday trip next year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment