Monday, June 1, 2015

Star Island (Isle of Shoals, NH) Blog 2 the birds.

This is the record of what I could catch with my Canon D7 and 400 MM f5.6L on Star Island this past weekend.  The blog preceding this (scroll down) was all about the island and its environment and the people involved.  This will be mostly the birds, of which there were few, but very special.

This is Kathy LLowiecki, waiting for our trip out. 

Common Tern in the dense fog.

We ran aground, and this wonderful lady came racing out to help, but we managed to back off.
 

Sat. AM, Tree Swallow.

First Spotted Sandpiper of several seen.

Cedar Waxwing

Yellow Warbler, very common on island

Black-throated Green Warbler

Catbird

Female Blackpole Warbler


Wilson's Warbler.  I know, I know, it is poor, but it is the only picture I've gotten so far.
If you think this is poor, wait until you see the Guillemot!

White Island Light

The other often-seen warbler, the Common Yellowthroat


We are now on Appledore Island
Black-backed Gull chick.


This was our transportation out to Appledore.



Bonaparte's Gull







Baltimore Oriole

2nd. Spotted Sandpiper

And here is the Northern Watterthrush (first photo ever)




Yellow Warbler


Black-backed Gull Eggs

And here is that Black Guillemot photo.  I include this because
Eric gave me such a hard time about it being
"some what of a picture" .  But I think it was the only Alcid we saw
(which was disappointing).

Sunday AM

Tree Sparrow on the Art Barn

"I'm walkin', yes indeed,
I'm talkin' 'bout you and me,
I'm hopin' that you'll come back to me!"
(with thanks to Fats Domino)

 

Female American Redstart

Family portrait

"Johhhn?"  "Marsha!"


Barn Swallows

Bluets.
One of the first flowers I ever recognized,
as a teenager in Biology class,
Thanks to Donald Macleod.
May he
(and B.B.King)
rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment