Thursday, December 9, 2021

A few recent birds.

 I haven't had much time for birding lately, and when I did, there was not much to be seen (no Snowy Owls yet), but here are some shots, all taken with the 800 f11 Canon lens on my R.  The single biggest problem is the very slow focus, but on a very bright day, shooting at f11 is no problem.  I shut off the image stabilization and shot at 2000 of a sec. and the results were good, mostly at ISO 800-1600. Most of the birds were a great deal away (the Red-throated Loon was easily 200 yards away), so the lens certainly has its uses. Another issue, however, is the extremely narrow depth of field in focus, something you can see clearly in the Tree Sparrow photo, which was taken at the extreme close range of the lens.  

But all complaints aside, what is truly wonderful is the combined weight of the 800 and R camera, which is about the same as my 7D Mk II with a 50mm lens.  I would guess the 7D and the 100-400 lens weigh three times as much, something to really consider on a long trek. 

Does the 800 match the 100-400 overall in resolution?  I am guessing not, but it is pretty close, and certainly satisfactory, at least for me. 

 


Nice sighting!
Red-throated Loon
(Winter plumage, no red mark on throat until breeding season).

White-winged Scoter
This bird has something wrong with the bill.  I can't tell whether it is something plastic he has
picked up, or God forbid, a fishing lure.

There has been a huge influx of crows lately, especially up on Plum Island

Mallard, female

Northern Pintail
Really lovely bird

It is almost impossible to get birds in flight with the 800.
Here is an exception, mostly because they filled the viewfinder.

Northern Pintail, female.

Interesting.  I couldn't find any Pintail photos with a flash of green.  It is either a light trick, or this may be a partial hybrid with a Mallard, something which does occur. 

Northern Pintail

House Sparrow.  You can see the tiny depth of field here with the 800. 

I can't wait to get to Costa Rica (if all goes as planned, and the country doesn't shut down!).


No comments:

Post a Comment